Monday, October 23, 2006

Fear

I've been thinking about this post by Dr.Couz, since I read it. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. The sentiments she expresses aren't any different than most women feel. And from what I've heard in her blog Dr. VitaminK is a caring and excellent doctor. I guess it bothers me that a medical professional is expressing the opinion. But, it really shouldn't since she is first ,and foremost a woman, just expressing feelings most women would express. I certainly was afraid and didn't want a disabled child. I was 40 when Nicky was born, our AFP results came back with an elevated risk for Down Syndrome, 1 in 60 vs. 1 in 80 for a woman of 40. The odds were with us, or so we thought so we went ahead. But in the back of our minds was the possibility of DS. I guess I was more afraid of an Amnio than DS. The day Nicky was born was the best and worst of days. Life is about risk and some are just worth taking.

No comments: